Harvard Club

Meyer & Meyer has provided numerous expansions and renovations to the Harvard Club’s athletic facilities in Boston. Phase 1 involved extensive modification to add new International Play squash courts, Pro Shop, aerobics room, and women’s dressing and locker areas. A high degree of structural review was required to achieve squash courts with the required International Play dimensions. Considerable attention was also given to the club areas, which responded to the context of the original 1913 building. The success of the first squash courts led to an addition to accommodate eight new International Play courts as well as a renovation of the men’s lounge and locker facility. The existing setback and easement requirements did not allow for ground-level expansion, so a cantilevered, upper-level addition was designed, building over the restricted areas. The project required intensive coordination with the City of Boston, the Back Bay Architectural Commission, and the Back Bay Neighborhood Association.

The project is of steel frame construction with composite floor and wall assemblies. The building exterior utilized patterned brick veneer with limestone brackets at the cantilever. An ornamental metal-and-glass canopy was developed for the Newbury Street entrance. The excellent facilities and viewing capabilities allowed the Harvard Club to be selected as host for the U.S. National Championships two years running after construction.